Friday, November 23, 2012

Rip and replace of the Dynapath control system with Kflop

Here's a shot of the test bench setup for the Kflop. I have it arranged with some terminals for encoders, servo outputs, spindle and coolant. It served it's purpose dutifully. Once I tested it all out, it was time to start tearing into the Dynapath Delta 10 system.


Here's the old beast. It was actually much easier to trace out the wiring that I had initially thought since all the controls came through d-sub connectors separated by function (i.e. servo control, encoders, interlocks...).


This is the operator console. It has some functions that I'd like to migrate over to the Kflop system. Specifically, the motion start/stop buttons, pot for feed rate override and spindle speed override. I'm not sure how to pull it off yet but once I dig into the Kflop I'll post as I develop.

Here's the panel over I mounted the Kflop and set up some terminals. On the left is the encoders and servo output (+/- 10v) then the 5v and 24v power supplies. On the right, is all of the discrete inputs, outputs and interlocks.  Above the horizontal panduit is the 3-phase power and the baldor DC servo controller. It's amazing how much smaller the Kflop is than the Dynapath! I could rent out a room in this panel:)


My next challenge was the power supply panel. It was equipped with multiple contractors for motor rotation, external power as well as the 24vdc power supply. Since the machine is equipped with a VFD and I don't have any plans for external 3-phase devices, I was able to pull it all out and start over.


And, in a flash, the panel is done (it took a bit longer in real life).
For all the current devices I just needed a couple small relays, fuses and terminals. Ahhhh, clean....
I accommodate for a 24vdc work light, 24vdc z-axis limits, 120vac air solenoid, 120vac lube system and a 240vac coolant pump.



 Once all the wiring was complete I started some moves and interlock tests which I put in another post.


2 comments:

  1. r, are you finished your rebuild? Did you use a VFD for your spindle? If so how did you connect it to your KFlop? I am starting to rebuild an old Masuura MCV500 using a Kanalog/KFlop board and a bit overwhelmed by the learning curve. Are you going to post pics of your completed machine? I appreciate any guidance you might be able to pass on if you are not too busy.
    Thanks,
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kieth, yes I have a 3HP VFD on the spindle. The Kflop controls the spindle speed. I have an analog output associated with the "S" codes. So, when you put in a "S500" the Kflop sends an analog signal to the VFD.

      It seems pretty daunting at first but once you figure it all out its actually pretty amazing and smooth.

      Ya, I can post some pictures of the machine as it stands. I just put a 15" touchscreen on it. It's pretty cool:)

      Feel free to ask me any more questions. For some reason I didn't get the notification that you responded to the post. Sorry about that.

      Delete